The first step to becoming a Franchise Dealer-Operator is to take and pass the
Franchise Dealer-Operator test at any DMV Customer Service Center.
Steps to take the Franhise Dealer-Operator Test:
- Complete the MVDB 57, Dealer-Operator/Salesperson Qualification Test Application and indicate on this form appropriate dealer-operator test as follows:
- If you are currently holding a valid Virginia Salesperson License, check on the MVDB 57 - Dealer-Operator Franchise (80 questions).
- If you do not have a valid Virginia Salesperson License, check on the MVDB 57 - Combined Dealer-Operator Franchise (100 questions).
What to Bring when taking the examination at DMV
- Proper identification (valid driver’s license, passport)
- Payment for testing fee ($50)
The MVDB recommends downloading the MVDB 35 Motor Vehicle Dealer Salesperson Study Guide to prepare for the Franchise Dealer-Operator tests
Retaking the examination
If you do not pass on the first try, you can retake the test the same day or
another day. You must pay the $50 fee each time you retake the test.
After passing the Franchise Dealer-Operator examination
Upon passing the examination, you are qualified as a Franchise Dealer-Operator.
Next, you must submit a completed and signed
and MVDB 21 (Criminal History Background Check Form)
along with the appropriate fees ($30 for salesperson license and $10 for Backgrond check) directly to MVDB for review and processing. The DSD-7 must be signed by you and a
representative of the Dealer.