How to Become a New Independent Dealer-Operator
The first step in becoming an Independent Dealer-Operator is to register for the
two-day Independent Dealer-Operator course given at Virginia Community Colleges
throughout the year. The course is taught by the Virginia Independent Dealers
Association (VIADA). There is a fee for this course, and it is recommended to
register early to avoid closed/full classes and late registration fees. See Click here for the
latest course schedules, locations, and fees.
The two-day course is a comprehensive course covering the primary responsibilities
of an Independent Dealer-Operator, including recent changes in motor vehicle laws and
regulations. The course will also administer a required examination on day two.
In order to successfully pass the course you must pass this in-class examination. If you have passed the in-class examination, you can proceed to complete the
final requirement by taking and passing the Independent Dealer-Operator examination at any
DMV customer service center. It is recommended that you take the Independent
Dealer-Operator examination soon after completing the two-day course.
- Step 1: Register for the two-day Independent Dealer Operator Course at the Virginia
- Step 2: Complete and pass the examination at the two-day course.
- Step 3: Go to the DMV and take the Independent Dealer-Operator examination.
Taking the Independent Dealer-Operator Examination at the DMV after completing and passing the two-day study course
- Complete the MVDB 57, Dealer-Operator/Salesperson Qualification Test Application and indicate on this form appropriate dealer-operator test as follows:
- If you are currently holding a valid Virginia Salesperson License check on the MVDB 57 - Dealer-Operator Independent Test (80 questions).
- If you do not have a valid Virginia Salesperson License check on the MVDB 57 - Combined Dealer-Operator Independent/Salesperson Test (100 questions).
What to Bring when taking the examination at DMV
- Proper identification (valid driver’s license, passport)
- Payment for testing fee ($50)
To prepare for the examination, the MVDB recommends downloading the MVDB 35 Motor Vehicle Dealer Salesperson Study Guide to prepare for the Independent Dealer-Operator test.
Retaking the test
If you do not pass on the first try, you can retake the test the same
day or another day. You must pay the $50 fee each time you retake the test.
After passing the Independent Dealer-Operator examination
Upon passing the examination, you are qualified as an Independent Dealer-Operator. Next, you must submit a completed and signed
and MVDB-21 along with the appropriate fees ($30 salesperson license and $10 Background Check) directly to
MVDB for review and processing. The DSD-7 must be signed by you and a representative
of the Dealer.
Independent Dealer-Operator Recertification Requirement
Independent Dealer-Operators are requireed every 36 months to complete a recertification on-line course or test.