The primary function of the MVDB is to license car and truck dealers -- both
franchise (new) and independent (used) car dealers. As part of the licensing process, the
Board issues dealer license plates and renewal decals as directed by DMV. Licensing activities
- Testing new applicants (tests administered at DMV Customer Service Centers)
- Conducting Criminal History Background Checks on new applicants and on a random sample of renewals
- Processing applications and issuing a license or a denial
- Processing and issuing supplemental licenses
- Performing field inspections for the opening and closing of dealerships
- Maintaining a customer "window" for in-person transactions
Licensing Codes and Regulations
Motor Vehicle Licensing Codes and Regulations.
Criminal History Guidelines
Motor Vehicle Dealer Board Guidelines for review of applications for salesperson and dealer-operator
licenses where the applicant has a criminal record.